7 Amazing Hangar Homes That Will Make you Dream Away
31.3k views | By Senne Vandenputte | Last updated on September 02, 2022
If you love aviation, then chances are you’ve daydreamed about owning your own hangar home. These homes are the perfect combination of luxury and practicality, and they offer plenty of space to store your beloved aircraft.
Here are seven amazing hangar homes that will make you dream away. Because who doesn’t like to look at pictures of dream houses and airplanes?
What is a Hangar Home?
Hangar homes are residences that are built adjacent to or in close proximity to an airplane hangar. These homes are designed with pilots in mind and often feature custom-built airplane garages. If you’re in the market for a new home and you love to fly, a hangar home might be the perfect fit for you!
There are several benefits to owning a hangar home, including:
- Convenience: One of the main benefits of owning a hangar home is that it’s extremely convenient. You won’t have to waste time travelling back and forth between your home and your plane, and you can easily accommodate out-of-town guests.
- Increased security: Hangar homes are also more secure than traditional homes, as they typically have 24/7 security. This means that you can rest assured knowing that your plane is always safe and sound.
- Lower insurance rates: Because hangar homes are more secure than traditional homes, insurance companies often offer lower rates for this type of dwelling. This can help you save money in the long run!
- Sense of community: Many people who own hangar homes enjoy the sense of community that comes with living near other pilots. This can be a great way to make new friends and network with other aviation enthusiasts.
- It looks cool: Let’s be honest — hangar homes look pretty darn cool. If you’re looking for a unique dwelling that will make your friends and family jealous, then a hangar home is definitely the way to go!
7 Amazing Hangar Homes Examples
Now let’s dive in and look at some amazing hangar homes to make you dream away!
1. Helicopter House in Queensland
This aviation dream residence was designed by Chris Clout and constructed in 2012 in Whitsundays, Queensland. A beautiful hangar home with a big glass wall between the hangar and the rest of the house so you can constantly keep a look at your precious toy parked in your hangar!
What aircraft would you park behind the glass?
2. SilverWing Airpark in Idaho
Silverwing Airpark is a unique, luxury fly-in airpark development set between Schweitzer Ski Mountain and Lake Pend Oreille in the city of Sandpoint, Idaho. You can buy a lot of land and have your own custom hangar home built or you can buy a turnkey unit that you can later customize. Prices range from $266,000 to over $1.7 million, and that is just for the land..
Pictures by Jessica Ambats
3. Alpine Airpark in Wyoming
Welcome to the Wild West!
The Alpin Airpark is the stuff dreams are made of. Stunning views, beautiful nature, mountains, horses, airplanes and, of course, beautiful hangar homes.
The “10-minute warning” text message is simple enough. It might be “sunset flight” or “breakfast, Driggs” or “Costco.” With that, hangar doors yawn open and a pack of Aviat Huskys and maybe a few other brands fire up and trundle toward the end of Runway 13 or 31 at Wyoming’s Alpine Airpark. “Within minutes we’ll have five to 15 Huskys and they just go,” explains Scot Cook, owner of Landings Aviation, the FBO at Alpine. The text message might be initiated by any resident of the fly-in community, located 29 nautical miles southwest of Jackson Hole Airport—morning, noon, or evening.
– Thomas B. Hains: Living a Western Life (AOPA)
Pictures by Chris Rose
4. Sweetwater in Teton Valley, Idaho
This custom designed residence and hangar in the gated airport community of Sweetwater in Teton Valley, Idaho, doesn’t need much explaining. The 2,550 sq. feet home and 6,400 sq. feet hangar offer all the space you need in beautiful Idaho.
Price tag of this beauty: $1,050,000. Unfortunately for you, it’s already sold to a very lucky person.
5. Falmouth Airpark in Falmouth, Massachusetts
An aviation enthusiast (who owned 22 light aircraft) showed a brochure featuring a motorized Lazy Susan carousel housing four aircraft to the architect and asked: “Can you design me a home around this?”. The architect did not need much convincing to take on the challenge of this project, as he was also a commercial pilot and aircraft owner, and shared the same passion for flight.
The almost 12,000 sq. feet house is built around the hangar and fitted with a rotating platform for four aircraft, making it easy to get them in and out.
Pictures by Lynne Damianos
6. Spruce Creek Fly-in community in Port Orange, Florida
With a price tag of $2.9 million, this incredible residence with hangar, workshop, 3 car garage, pool, fireplace, beautiful landscaping and much more, is worth every penny.
Maybe if I work hard 7/7 and save every last dollar I have, in 60 years I will be able to afford it.
A visit, that is.. Not the actual propery of course.
7. ‘Star-shaped’ hangar home in Michigan
Number 7, the last one on the list, is a custom-built star-shaped hangar home featuring 2 big hangar doors for aircraft and a smaller one for other toys. The owner is able to hangar his Cessna T337 Skymaster, a Lake 250 Renegade and other cars and toys into his hangar home in Marcelona, Michigan.
Everything has its place in this hangar. With this configuration, he can store two airplanes, four snowmobiles, four cars, two 24-foot boats and still has room for a 39 feet x 13 feet workroom.